So what are the ingredients that determine the winners from the losers?
The basic attributes that separate the best candidates from the rest are:
- Intellectual prowess: Don't underestimate the importance of sheer gray matter.
- Having a well-founded point of view: Boards look for someone to stake out a sensible position with firmness.
- Superior communications skills: This is the ability to unlock that gray matter and articulate that point of view in a clear and compelling way.
- Values: There must be a strong match between what the individual stands for, and what the directors and the company stands for.
- Executive presence: This is the intangible ability to inspire confidence in a group setting.
To read the complete article.